Parshuram is the sixth Avatar of Lord Vishnu. He was born to Saptarishi Jamadagni and Goddess Renuka in the Dwapara Yuga. There are a lot of legends associated with Parshuram that prove his greatness.
On that note, let’s take a look at some key facts about Parshuram –
1. Parshuram was gifted his famous axe (Parashu) due to his strict penance to Lord Shiva.
2. He is one of the seven immortals of Hinduism.
3. Parshuram is an important character in both the Ramayana and Mahabharata.
4. He was a gifted warrior who passed his skills onto Dronacharya, Bhisma and Karna.
5. On the command of his father, Parshuram beheaded his mother for her impure thoughts and killed his disobedient brothers too.
6. Pleased with his loyalty, Jamadagni offered him two boons and Parshuram chose to bring his mother and brothers back to life.
7. Lord Shiva was the mentor of Parshuram and He instructed Parshuram to destroy all evil on earth.
8. Kshatriya King Kartavirya went to Jamadagni’s ashram and stole the holy calf that was gifted to him by Lord Indra. Enraged by this act of crime, Parshuram killed the thousand armed Sahasrarjun Kartavirya and the calf was rescued.
9. Impressed by his courage and strength, Lord Indra offered his famous bow Vijaya to Parshuram. This bow was later given to Karna by Parshuram.
10. To avenge Kartavirya’s death, his sons killed Parshuram’s father Jamdagni and took his head to Mahishmati kingdom. In return he killed all Kshatriyas 21 times to restore peace to the earth.
11. Parshuram’s bow was used during Sita Swayamvar in Ramayana and Rama was the only one who could lift it, but it broke in half. When he realized that Rama was his own incarnation, he passed on his bow to Rama.
12. Parshuram saved the lands of Kerala and Konkan from drowning and stopped the advance of the Arabian Sea. As the land was barren, he worshipped Nagaraja, who made the soil fertile again.
13. Once Parshuram was enraged at the Sun for excessive heat and attacked it with his arrows. When he sent his wife to fetch more arrows, Suryadev came and offered Prshuram an umbrella and slippers for protection from heat.
14. Parshuram and Saptarishi Agasthya founded Kalaripayattu, which is the oldest martial art known to mankind.
15. According to some legends Parshuram the immortal warrior sage, still lives at the Mahendragiri Mountain peak in Orissa.